Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Labels

Today I have been talking to my supervisor about labels. He said that he was listening to a speaker discuss how we place labels on events. We say things like, "that was a really bad experience" or just attach a negative connotation to a memory. We decide we hate or dislike people when we have an interaction we call "negative" with them. What if we stopped placing labels on events, memories, people? What if we said things like, "that was the perfect experience - it was perfect in what it needed to be for me" or "That person was doing the exact thing that they needed to do in that moment, it was perfect". Why can't we just accept moments as creations for our betterment, and accept those people who interact with us as teachers? When I believe that it is possible I feel free. I feel at peace. I can even be emotional about the beauty and humanness of life experience. I don't have to be reactive - I can be open and learn and be an improved me. I heart great supervisors/mentors and am so lucky to have one.

4 comments:

Ashlee said...

Heather,
I am excited that you have a blog. Congrats on school and the theatre! It is great to see you doing something you love. I wish I'd known and we would've come to Sound of Music. Let me know when High School Musical begins. Do you know who you'll be playing? You can get to my blog from nat's.

Erin Rupp Bowcutt said...

You are exactly right, everyone needs to be a bit more optimistic about every experience.

The Birds said...

Great thought! Thanks for sharing! You always were such a deep thinker!

Nick said...

That is such a great way to look at life. It is so easy with all the trash around to feel helpless and focus on all the bad. It is nice to hear these kind of things to keep everything in perspective.